Vegetarian Breakfast: Warm Cinnamon Oatmeal
- ½ cup Steel Cut Oats (already prepared – see Basic Oatmeal below)
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute (soy, almond, rice)
- ½ tbsp raisins
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower seeds or other seed or nut (pecans are very good too)
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Put oatmeal, milk, cinnamon, and raisins in microwave safe dish and microwave for 45-60 seconds.
- Stir oatmeal
- Add nuts nut butter, and sliced banana and eat!
Nutrition analysis was made based on values for skim milk. Calcium content in milk substitutes is similar, but protein content in rice and almond milk is lower than skim milk.
Calories: 434 Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 59g Sodium: 58mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 14g Cholesterol: 2mg Potassium: 982mg Calcium: 231mg Folate: 84mcg
About the author
Melissa Kavanaugh is a first year graduate student at Drexel University. She is working towards her Masters in Human Nutrition and is completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian. Melissa earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in Accounting and Finance and worked in industry for 4 years before deciding to change careers and pursue her true passions: nutrition and fitness. In addition to nutrition, Melissa went back to school for fitness and currently holds Personal Training and Group Fitness certifications from the American Council on Exercise. She teaches weekly ballet bar and strength training classes in addition to working one on one with clients to achieve their fitness goals. Melissa enjoys cooking and creating fun and easy recipes. She is excited and honored to be a contributor to OncoLink.