Vegetarian Green Drinks: Chocolate Smoothie
Author: OncoLink Team
Recipe type: Smoothie
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach
- ⅔ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute (soy, almond, rice)
- ½ medium frozen banana
- 1 medjool date (optional)
- 1 tablespoon natural unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tablespoons raw almond butter
- Blend all ingredients together in a high-powered blender until smooth and creamy.
* Nutrition analysis was made based on values for skim milk. Calcium content in milk substitutes is similar, but protein content in rice and almond milk is lower than skim milk. Recipe Adapted from: Fuhrman Joel M.D. Eat for Health. United States: Gift of Health Press; 2008.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 357 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 62g Sodium: 168mg Fiber: 12g Protein: 13g Cholesterol: 2mg Potassium: 1617mg Vitamin A: 747mcg Vitamin C: 48mg Calcium: 366mg Iron: 6mg Folate: 316mcg
About the author
Melissa Kavanaugh is a first year graduate student at Drexel University. She is working towards her Masters in Human Nutrition and is completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian. Melissa earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in Accounting and Finance and worked in industry for 4 years before deciding to change careers and pursue her true passions: nutrition and fitness. In addition to nutrition, Melissa went back to school for fitness and currently holds Personal Training and Group Fitness certifications from the American Council on Exercise. She teaches weekly ballet bar and strength training classes in addition to working one on one with clients to achieve their fitness goals. Melissa enjoys cooking and creating fun and easy recipes. She is excited and honored to be a contributor to Oncolink.