- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- 1-cup chana dal
- 1-cup brown rice
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-cup shitake mushrooms (I used frozen)
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute (soy, almond, rice)
- 1-cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- Simmer garlic, onion, olive oil, and basil on medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add brown rice and China Daal and simmer for another minute
- Next, add tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, milk, chicken broth, nutritional yeast and salt
- Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and cover for 45 minutes. Stir often being careful not to let the mixture burn.
- The finished product should be creamy. Enjoy!
Inspired by Angela Liddon’s Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto
About the author
Melissa Kavanaugh is a first year graduate student at Drexel University. She is working towards her Masters in Human Nutrition and is completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian. Melissa earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in Accounting and Finance and worked in industry for 4 years before deciding to change careers and pursue her true passions: nutrition and fitness. In addition to nutrition, Melissa went back to school for fitness and currently holds Personal Training and Group Fitness certifications from the American Council on Exercise. She teaches weekly ballet bar and strength training classes in addition to working one on one with clients to achieve their fitness goals. Melissa enjoys cooking and creating fun and easy recipes. She is excited and honored to be a contributor to OncoLink.