Vegetarian Entree: Curried Coconut Lentil Soup
Author: OncoLink Team
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 small, garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked lentils, divided
- 2 cups coconut water, divided (can use low sodium chicken broth instead)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tbsp coconut butter (can use regular butter instead)
- Sauté carrots, onion, and garlic in ½ cup coconut water (adding more as needed) over medium heat until carrots are soft and onions and garlic are translucent.
- In a blender, add half of carrot, onion, and garlic mixture, 2 cups lentils, salt, curry and 1½ cups coconut water and blend on high until smooth.
- In a medium soup pot, add blended mixture, remaining lentils, and coconut butter.
- Cook on medium/high heat, stirring often until coconut butter is mixed in.
Note that potassium content will be lower and sodium content may be higher if chicken broth is used in place of coconut water.
Calories: 234 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 40g Sodium: 444mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 0mg Potassium: 985mg Vitamin A: 255mcg Folate: 283mcg
Recipe by OncoLink Cancer Blogs at http://www.oncolink.org/blogs/2013/04/vegetarian-entree-curried-coconut-lentil-soup/