Vegetarian Entree: Tomato and Shitake Mushroom Risotto
Author: OncoLink Team
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1-cup chana dal
- 1-cup brown rice
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-cup shitake mushrooms (I used frozen)
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute (soy, almond, rice)
- 1-cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Simmer garlic, onion, olive oil, and basil on medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add brown rice and China Daal and simmer for another minute
- Next, add tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, milk, chicken broth, nutritional yeast and salt
- Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and cover for 45 minutes. Stir often being careful not to let the mixture burn.
- The finished product should be creamy. Enjoy!
Nutrition analysis was made based on values for skim milk. Calcium content in milk substitutes is similar, but protein content in rice and almond milk is lower than skim milk.
Calories: 348 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 62g Sodium: 405mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 18g Cholesterol: 2mg Potassium: 767mg Calcium: 164mg Iron: 4mg Vitamin D: 4.2mcg Folate: 176mcg
Recipe by OncoLink Cancer Blogs at http://www.oncolink.org/blogs/index.php/2013/04/vegetarian-entree-tomato-and-shitake-mushroom-risotto/