John E. McGuigan
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
Copyright © 2000, John E. McGuigan
- In that rushing quiet when nothing moves
- Except the unreal sounds
- Of coal chutes and rocking-horse hooves
- And make-shift pitcher's mounds,
- I sit expectant, motionless,
- And stare at an ugly sound
- Of numbered, open-mouthed breaths.
- The malignant, reddish purple
- Glare of sores
- Sneering from beneath
- A hospital gown
- Mocks my helpless frown.
Frequently Asked Questions
National Cancer Institute
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!