Drawing Up Heparin
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- (1) 100 u/cc vial heparin
- (1) 10 cc Cannula syringe
- (1) vial adapter
- alcohol wipes
- Wash your hands (See Handwashing section for more information.)
- Remove cap from heparin vial (100 u/cc) and clean with alcohol wipe. Let dry.
- Remove cover from vial adapter.
- Insert adapter into the heparin vial and clean with alcohol wipe. (See picture #4).
- Remove cap from syringe draw up _____cc air. (See picture #5).
- Insert syringe into center of vial adapter and turn over. (See picture #6).
- Inject _____cc air into the heparin vial. Make sure the tip of the syringe is in the heparin solution and draw back to _____cc.
- Remove syringe from heparin vial.
- Refer to Flushing _____________ for details on how to flush your catheter.
Experts Aim to Draw Attention to High Cancer Drug Costs
May 14, 2013 - A group of more than 100 leukemia experts believes the current prices of chronic myelogenous leukemia drugs are too high, may compromise access of needy patients to highly effective therapy, and are harmful to the sustainability of national health care systems, according to an editorial published online April 25 in Blood.
Frequently Asked Questions
National Cancer Institute
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!