Care of Your Button Feeding Device
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
Clean the skin around the Button everyday.
You will need the following supplies:
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section located in this manual for more information).
- Use a wet washcloth and soap to wash the skin, making sure to clean where the stitches go into the skin.
- You may take a shower or bath. Allow the water and soap to run over C. your skin.
- DO NOT PUT any ointments on the button site without first speaking to your nurse or doctor.
- Up to a quarter size of yellow drainage may be normal.
- If you have drainage, a dressing may be applied. If redness develops around the tube or the skin hurts when you touch it, apply a warm, wet washcloth to the site and notify your physician.
- Once the sutures are removed, rotate the wings of the button one half turn each week.
Cleaning the Feeding Tube Adaptor
- Once a day, clean the feeding tube adaptor with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly.
- Rinse the feeding tube adaptor with warm water after each use.
- Pipe cleaners may be used for cleaning the feeding tube adaptor if needed.
- If you are unable to see through the feeding tube adaptor after cleaning it, use a new one.
Oncology Best Supportive Care Studies Faulted
Jan 28, 2015 - In oncology, best supportive care studies exhibit ethical and methodological shortcomings, and systematic bias or error that may be due to ad hoc supportive care and lack of standardized delivery, according to a study published online June 29 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Frequently Asked Questions
National Cancer Institute
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!