Coming Off the Pump for Implanted Ports
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- (1) 10 cc Cannula syringe
- ( 1) Vial Adapter
- (1) vial of 100 u/cc Heparin
- (1) 4"x4" sponge
- alcohol wipes
DANGER: KEEP SUPPLIES OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS AT ALL TIMES.
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section for more information).
- Insert Cannula syringe into the center of the vial adapter.
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section in this manual for more information).
- Open 10 cc Cannula syringe.
- Clean off (100 u/cc) Heparin vial with Vial Adapter in place.
- Remove cap from syringe.
- Draw up 5 cc air (see picture #5).
- Withdraw 5 cc Heparin and remove syringe from vial (see picture #8).
- Remove all air from syringe and remove from vial adaptor.
- Turn off the pump.
- Remove pump tubing from the injection cap.
- Wipe off injection cap with an alcohol wipe.
- Inject 5cc Heparin flush and remove syringe.
- Gently remove dressing around implanted port.
- With _______ hand steady implanted port with 4" x 4" sponge.
- Using steady upward motion, remove port needle with _______ hand.
- Dispose of needle in disposable needle container.