Drawing Up Sodium Chloride
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- (1) 100 u/cc vial sodium chloride
- (1) 10 cc Cannula syringe
- (1) vial adapter
- Wash your hands (See Handwashing section for more information.)
- Remove cap from sodium chloride vial and clean with alcohol wipe. Let dry.
- Remove cover from vial adapter.
- Insert adapter into the sodium chloride vial and clean with alcohol wipe. (See picture #4)
- Remove cap from syringe and draw up _____ cc air. (See picture #5).
- Insert needle into center of rubber stopper of the sodium chloride vial and turn over. (See picture #6)
- Inject _____ cc air into the sodium chloride vial. Make sure the tip of the needle is in the sodium chloride solution and draw back to _____ cc.
- Remove syringe from sodium chloride vial.
- Refer to Flushing _____________ for details on how to flush your catheter.