IV Push Medications
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
The Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- ____ vials of ________________
- ____ cc syringe with needle
- ____ cc syringe
- ____ 25 gauge 1" needle
- ____ Normal Saline or Dextrose 5%/water (circle one) ____ cc minibag
- ____ alcohol wipes
- ____ antibacterial soap
- Prepare a clean work area.
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section for more information).
- Flip off the plastic protective cap of the medication vial .
- Wipe the top of the vial, with an alcohol wipe. Allow to dry.
- Check medication vial to make sure it is the correct medication and strength. Also check to be certain it has not expired.
- Check minibag to make sure it is the correct fluid and volume.
- Wipe the injection cap of the administration port on the minibag with a new alcohol wipe. Allow to dry. Set aside on clean work area.
- Remove cap from syringe and attach needle to syringe.
- Pull the syringe plunger back to _____ cc.
- Remove needle cap and set it on clean work area for later use. Insert needle into US center of rubber stopper of medication vial.
- Invert the vial with the needle still inserted. Inject the air into the vial. Be sure that the tip of the needle is in solution and draw back to _____ cc. Be careful not to draw up air.
- Withdraw the needle from the vial.
- Insert the needle into the injection cap of the administration port on your minibag. Inject all the medication.
- Shake the minibag well to mix the medication.
- Use prepared minibag within _____ hours since potency may decrease after this period.
- Attach tubing to minibag.
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!