Drawing Up Heparin
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- (1) 100 u/cc vial heparin
- (1) 10 cc Cannula syringe
- (1) vial adapter
- alcohol wipes
- Wash your hands (See Handwashing section for more information.)
- Remove cap from heparin vial (100 u/cc) and clean with alcohol wipe. Let dry.
- Remove cover from vial adapter.
- Insert adapter into the heparin vial and clean with alcohol wipe. (See picture #4).
- Remove cap from syringe draw up _____cc air. (See picture #5).
- Insert syringe into center of vial adapter and turn over. (See picture #6).
- Inject _____cc air into the heparin vial. Make sure the tip of the syringe is in the heparin solution and draw back to _____cc.
- Remove syringe from heparin vial.
- Refer to Flushing _____________ for details on how to flush your catheter.
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!