The Role of Hormones in the Development of Mast Cell Tumors in Animals

Question
I was wondering if any research has been done on the effects of hormones like estrogen on keeping dog Mast Cell Tumors (MCT) in check? I know it may just be coincidence, but my Rhodesian ridgeback had one MCT for 3 yrs, and after she was spayed, developed 4 more within the next year (which have been removed). Just curious if there is any new research out there!  
Thanks!

Answer
Lili Duda, VMD, Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Section Menu, responds:

There is nothing in the veterinary literature to indicate that estrogens play much of a role in canine mast cell tumors. The little anecdotal evidence that exists is contradictory. On the one hand, some evidence suggests that estrogen receptors are present on malignant mast cells. This would suggest that estrogens might promote tumor cell growth, and removal of estrogen would cause tumors to regress. On the other hand, there is a syndrome of multicentric mast cell tumors in young Siamese cats that typically regresses spontaneously as the cats mature. In addition, there is a mastocytosis syndrome in adolescents that regresses when they reach puberty (it should be noted however that the human disease differs significantly from the canine and feline disease.

Helicobacter Infection Plays Role in Stomach Cancer

Sep 19, 2014 - The effects of Helicobacter felis infection on the expression of the hormone gastrin can lead to the development of cancer in mice, with tumors developing at different sites in the stomach depending on the mouse's native gastrin level, according to a study reported in the July issue of the American Journal of Pathology.