Treatment options for recurrent ovarian cancer

Question

My mother is currently battling her 3rd recurrence of ovarian cancer. She will start "Doxil" next week. What other options do we have?  

Answer

Recurrent ovarian cancer is a difficult problem.  In addition to Doxil, there are several chemotherapies available.  None of these drugs can cure recurrent ovarian cancer, but they may cause some shrinkage of the tumor that is present.  Typical second-line chemotherapy agents include topotecan, gemcitabine, etoposide, and docetaxel.  Each agent has different side effects.  For additional treatments, you may also wish to consult with your physician regarding clinical trials of new treatments that may be available.