Boswellia for Glioblastoma

Question

Can you tell me anything about the use of the herbal supplement Boswellia for recurrent GBM? If an option to consider, what would be the dosage?

Katrina Claghorn, Registered Dietician at Penn Medicine, responds:

Answer

We have not seen any benefit to Boswellia for brain tumors at this point. Where benefit has been shown was actually in ulcerative colitis and osteoporosis. However, we have not seen any harm caused by taking this supplement. But, as with any dietary supplement, you want to look for products from a reputable company, perhaps those "USP verified." Supplements & vitamins are not regulated by the FDA and so you have to use some caution in taking them. More info on bosweilla from the ACS.

Fatty Acid Synthesis Important for Brain Tumor Survival

Aug 22, 2014 - Fatty acid synthesis is important for the survival of glioblastomas with a continuously active epidermal growth factor receptor, and, inhibiting fatty acid synthesis leads to reduced tumor growth and increased tumor death, according to a study in the Dec. 15 issue of Science Signaling.