Proton Therapy for Glioblastoma

Oncolink

Question

Can proton therapy be a better option for GBM than regular radiation?

Robert Lustig, MD, Pediatric & Adult Radiation Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

Answer

Protons have not been proven better in controlling GBM compared to standard treatment. There are studies now being started to see if higher doses of protons are better than standard treatment.

Novel Gene Therapy for Brain Tumor Nears Clinical Trial

Oct 25, 2014 - A novel gene therapy for glioblastoma multiforme utilizing a combination of adenoviral vectors and the drug ganciclovir is nearing clinical trial with the discovery of a biomarker to gauge tumor response to the treatment, according to a study reported in the July 1 issue of Clinical Cancer Research.