Long Term Effects of Pediatric Brain Radiation Therapy

Oncolink

Question

Are there any long term effects on children who are treated for brain cancer and cured?

Connie Didomenico, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in Neuro-Oncology at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, responds:

Answer

The long term effects of children treated for brain cancer depends on many factors including any effects from surgery including complications from surgery; if radiation is used: long term effects depend on age of the child when they receive radiation and where the radiation is given: whether it is given to a part of the brain or entire brain; as for long term effects of chemotherapy: this depends on the agents given.  You can learn more about long-term effects of all pediatric cancer therapies from CureSearch for Childre's Cancer.

Social Outcomes Good for Most Pediatric Brain Tumor Survivors

Oct 22, 2012 - While the majority of survivors of pediatric embryonal tumors display positive social outcomes several years after diagnosis and treatment, specific risk factors may affect social adjustment and behavior over the long term, according to research published online Oct. 15 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.