Hydrocephalus (Water on the Brain)

Oncolink

Question

Can you explain hydrocephalus? Why does it happen and how do you treat it?

Connie Didomenico, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in Neuro-Oncology at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, responds:

Answer

Hydrocephalus is an accumulation of fluid in the brain that causes displacement of the brain and structures in the brain. There are many causes for hydrocephalus, including a tumor or poor compliance of brain tissue. If hydrocephalus is caused by a tumor, removal of the tumor can often correct this, though if the tumor cannot be removed entirely, the hydrocephalus may continue, requiring a shunt. Placement of a shunt diverts the flow of fluid to avoid accumulation in the brain. It typically drains into another part of the body, such as the abdomen, where the body can reabsorb the fluid.

Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy prolongs survival and improves symptoms

Mar 14, 2011 - Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy of gastrointestinal brain metastases is associated with prolonged survival and improved quality of life, but survival is still lower compared to metastases arising from other tumors, according to a review published online Feb. 11 in Cancer.