Ciliary body tumor in a dog

Question

My dog is only 4 years old. I have learned that my dog has an "epithelial tumor of the ciliary body" in the eye itself, a"ciliary adenocarcinoma". I am concerned about metastatic rate for this type of tumor, and the recommended best way to monitor on a continuing or long-term basis. My local vet suggested a chest x-ray. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated, as I want to be informed and proactive.  

Answer

Lili Duda, VMD, Section Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Menu, responds:

The ciliary body is a structure that sits within the eye just behind the iris. It is responsible for producing the fluids that nourish the eye, as well as containing muscles that allow the lens to focus.

Primary tumors of the ciliary body are uncommon in dogs, and even less common in cats. They tend to occur in middle-age to older animals. Because these tumors are uncommon, there is a limited amount of information in the veterinary medical literature. However, metastasis of ciliary body adenocarcinomas seems to be uncommon, and tends to happen as the tumor gradually becomes larger and more invasive. If the tumor was not invading through the surface of the globe of the eye at the time it was removed, both metastasis and recurrence of the tumor locally is unlikely. The draining lymph nodes and the lungs should be periodically evaluated for tumor spread by physical examination of the lymph nodes, fine needle aspiration if abnormalities (such as increased size or firmness) are detected, and chest X-rays.

If you or your veterinarian have not already done so, please consult a qualified veterinary oncologist to further explore the treatment options for your pet.

ACS: Dog Cancer Therapy Success May Extend to Humans

Oct 22, 2014 - A new compound that delivers cancer-killing nitric oxide molecules via vitamin B12 receptors on cancer cells dramatically reduced the size of tumors in three dogs and could point the way for research in treating human cancers too, according to a case study presented at the American Chemical Society's 237th National Meeting, held March 22 to 26 in Salt Lake City.