Is Hysterectomy for Cervical Cancer Necessary?

Christina S. Chu, MD

Question

My sister has been diagnosed with cervical cancer and wasn't offered a hysterectomy. Every time we tell a doctor or nurse about this they seem to be shocked. Is there any reason a person with cervical cancer wouldn't be given a hysterectomy?
Thank you.

Answer

You have asked a very good question. However, you should realize that the term "cervical cancer" could mean many different things. A patient with cervical cancer that has spread beyond the cervix (for example, spread to the tissues next to the cervix, to the vagina, or to the bowel or bladder) is not considered a candidate for hysterectomy. These patients are better treated with chemotherapy and radiation. On the other hand, patients with "carcinoma in situ", or cervical cancer that is only sitting on the surface of the cervix without invading the tissue of the cervix, may be adequately treated by a cone biopsy without need for a hysterectomy. This is particularly true for patients who are young and who desire to retain the ability to have children in the future.

If you have specific questions, you should address them with your sister's physician. Treatment of cervical cancer is not limited to hysterectomy, and is tailored to each individual patient's situation.

Hysterectomy Linked to Better Cervical Cancer Survival

Nov 21, 2014 - Radical hysterectomy may provide better survival outcomes compared with radiation in women with early-stage cervical cancer whose tumors are less than 6 cm in diameter, according to a study in the November issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.