Radiation Dosages

John Han-Chih Chang, MD and Kenneth Blank, MD

Question
I would like information on the specific dosage and the type and energy of the radiation used in treating Hodgkin's Disease. I would be most grateful for any information you can send about this.  
Yours sincerely,
SK

Answer
John Han-Chih Chang, MD and Kenneth Blank, MD, OncoLink's Editorial Assistants, respond:

Dear SK:
The energy of the radiation used to treat Hodgkin's Disease is termedmegavoltage radiation. That is, radiation with energies over 4Mev. Thistype of radiation is 'skin-sparing', because the effect of theradiation does not occur on the skin but rather in the body. Incontrast, in the 1960s and the only type of radiation available wasorthovoltage radiation, which invariably burned pateints' skin.

The dose of radiation for Hodgkin's Disease is somewhat controversial. However, most radiation oncologists would recommend at least 35 Gray or higher.

Studies outline new options for the standard treatment of various lymphoma types

Dec 7, 2010 - Rituximab may be a better option than watchful waiting in some lymphoma patients, and a new treatment option appears effective for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to two studies being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, held from Dec. 4 to 7 in Orlando, Fla. Other research being presented will highlight new options for the standard treatment of advanced asymptomatic follicular lymphoma; mantle cell lymphoma; and early, unfavorable Hodgkin's disease.

Understanding prostate cancer screening