Radiation Dosages

John Han-Chih Chang, MD and Kenneth Blank, MD

Question
I would like information on the specific dosage and the type and energy of the radiation used in treating Hodgkin's Disease. I would be most grateful for any information you can send about this.  
Yours sincerely,
SK

Answer
John Han-Chih Chang, MD and Kenneth Blank, MD, OncoLink's Editorial Assistants, respond:

Dear SK:
The energy of the radiation used to treat Hodgkin's Disease is termedmegavoltage radiation. That is, radiation with energies over 4Mev. Thistype of radiation is 'skin-sparing', because the effect of theradiation does not occur on the skin but rather in the body. Incontrast, in the 1960s and the only type of radiation available wasorthovoltage radiation, which invariably burned pateints' skin.

The dose of radiation for Hodgkin's Disease is somewhat controversial. However, most radiation oncologists would recommend at least 35 Gray or higher.

Risk of Leukemia Tied to Breast Cancer Rx Higher Than Thought

Dec 30, 2014 - Among early-stage breast cancer patients who undergo chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment, the risk for developing treatment-related leukemia, though low, is still double what experts had previously thought, a new analysis reveals. Reporting online Dec. 22 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the researchers said the findings should give pause to doctors and breast cancer patients who are considering post-surgical treatment options.

Understanding prostate cancer screening