Fertility after Leukemia treatment

Selina M. Luger, MD

I am a 24-year-old female who had APL leukemia in august 1999. I took Ara-C, Daunorubicin, and Retnoic acid pills. I would like to try to have a baby with my husband and need to know if the chemo could have caused damage to the eggs and or if the risks of having a handicapped child are very great. I am really worried about it. I have become depressed due to thinking I might not be able to have kids. Please help me or lead me in the direction I need to go to get answers.  

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Usually the chemotherapy and pills that you received are not expected to affect fertility. If you have resumed regular menses that is a good sign. It is not safe to conceive while you are on these medications, however, if you have been off all medicines for at least 3 months, there is no increased risk of birth defects.

My Cancer Experience

Pediatric High-Risk Leukemia Survival Has Improved Over Time

Jul 25, 2011

Improved AML/ALL outcomes following allogeneic, non-allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation

Therapy-Related Leukemia Risk Varied From 1975 to 2008

Feb 19, 2013

Risk after chemotherapy varies depending on initial cancer and treatment practices

Engineered Immune Cells Lead to Leukemia Remission

Mar 25, 2013

Treatment with autologous engineered T cells is effective bridge to potentially curative therapy