Tamoxifen for DCIS

Kevin Fox, MD

Question

I recently was diagnosed with high nuclear grade, multifocal, comedo-necrosis type DCIS. I underwent a modified radical mastectomy. No invasive cancer was found, & all 13 nodes excised were negative.

Estrogen receptor status was not done as the clinical guidelines in Canada indicate no further treatment is necessary. Is Tamoxifen warranted as further treatment in this type of DCIS, esp. for protection for the other breast? Is it only effective on ER+ receptors?  

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania responds:

Tamoxifen will benefit you only insofar as it may lower the risk of breast cancer in the opposite breast. Your DCIS has been treated adequately with surgery; tamoxifen will provide no additional treatment benefit in regard to the breast that was removed. Estrogen receptors are not factored into the management of DCIS as opposed to invasive cancer.

ASCO: Peri-Op MRI Doesn't Lower Recurrence Rates in DCIS

Sep 6, 2013 - For patients with ductal carcinoma in situ, the use of perioperative magnetic resonance imaging is not associated with lower rates of locoregional recurrence, according to a study to be presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology's 2013 Breast Cancer Symposium, held from Sept. 7 to 9 in San Francisco.

3D Mammography: What is it?