Primary peritoneal cancer

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question

My mom just had a hysterectomy and we were told her diagnosis of Peritoneal Cancer mimics Ovarian Cancer. This is very rare; do you have any information about this disease?

Answer

Primary peritoneal cancer is a malignant tumor arising from the peritoneum, the lining of the abdominal cavity. It tends to behave in a fashion very similar to cancer of the ovary, and can look identical under the microscope. The standard treatment is the same as for ovarian cancer. Typically, surgery is performed to remove as much of the tumor as possible, and then chemotherapy is administered. The chemotherapy drugs used are commonly carboplatin and paclitaxel, as are used for ovarian cancer, although other agents may be employed as well.

ASCO: Pazopanib Ups Survival in Advanced Ovarian Cancer

Jun 4, 2013 - For women with advanced epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer who have undergone surgery and first-line chemotherapy, maintenance therapy with pazopanib is associated with significant longer median progression-free survival versus placebo, according to a study presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, held from May 31 to June 4 in Chicago.