Abnormal cells present in the uterine lining

Question

If I have abnormal cells present in my uterine lining, do I need to be concerned for my partner to be exposed or can he contract anything during intercourse? I am going for a second opinion by recommendation of my GYN physician, so I haven't been diagnosed with cancer as of yet. 

Answer

Without knowing the diagnosis of the "abnormal" cells, it is difficult to answer your question. However, if you underwent an endometrial biopsy, any abnormalities that were detected are unlikely to be of a contagious, infectious nature. Endometrial biopsies are usually done to check the uterine lining in cases of abnormal vaginal bleeding, to rule out cancer and hyperplasia (precancer). In the absence of those two things, many other problems may cause abnormal bleeding. Some of these include endometrial polyps, uterine fibroids, anovulatory cycles, endometrial atrophy (very thinned lining in the post-menopausal woman), and endometritis. Endometritis is inflammation or infection in the lining of the uterus which may be treated with antibiotics. However, this is generally not considered a sexually transmitted infection that you can pass to your partner.

C-Met inhibitor linked to less cell proliferation, significant apoptosis in metastatic HCC cell line

Sep 29, 2010 - Targeting c-Met, a receptor for hepatocyte growth factor that plays a role in growth, invasion, and metastasis of liver cancer, may be useful in treating patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and c-Met positive tumors, according to research presented at the American Association for Cancer Research International Conference on Molecular Diagnostics in Cancer Therapeutic Development, held from Sept. 27 to 30 in Denver.