Sedation during a LEEP procedure

Question

Is 1-2 months too long to wait for a LEEP procedure? Also, is there any sedation given during the procedure? 

Answer

Waiting 1-2 months for your LEEP (Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure) should not be a problem.

No sedation is usually required for a LEEP procedure, but local anesthesia is used. For particularly nervous patients who I think can tolerate an office procedure, I might prescribe a single dose of Valium for them to take an hour before the procedure if they have a friend to bring them and take them home. For someone who clearly will not be able to tolerate an office procedure (very rare) because of discomfort or nerves, I would schedule the procedure in day surgery where IV sedation can be given.