Inflammation on your Pap smear

Question

Could you tell me what it means if you are told your Pap smear had benign cellular changes/inflammation? I was put on Flagyl for 7 days, and told to have another smear in 3 months. Is this common and is it serious? 

Answer

The diagnosis on your pap smear is very common. While "inflammation" may be a sign of infection (such as sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea or chlamydia), it usually is just non-specific (meaning not due to any identifiable infection).

Treatment with Flagyl (which treats bacterial vaginosis) is a common first step to try to clear up the inflammation so that a Pap test may have a clearer reading. Patients should return for another Pap in 3 months as your care provider suggested for confirmation.

HPV test alone more accurate than Pap smear; co-testing can be extended to every three years

Histology Can Reduce Cancer Risk After Abnormal Pap Smear

Jul 3, 2015

Histological assessment recommended to reduce women's cervical cancer risk

Pap Smear DNA Shows Promise in ID'ing Endometrial, Ovarian CA

Jan 14, 2013

Based on genomic screening of 12 frequently mutated genes in endometrial, ovarian cancer