Pregnancy and AML

Question

I received a stem cell transplant for Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) two years ago. I was told I'd never be able to have children and -- lo and behold -- I'm pregnant! I of course will be seeing a specialist who can monitor the baby, but I have a friend who has heard that pregnancy can cause a relapse of some cancers. Does my pregnancy put me in any danger? 

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Although there are some concerns about pregnancy in some cancers, there is no evidence that pregnancy has any effect on the risk of relapse/recurrence in AML. Although the chemotherapy used for standard bone marrow transplantation almost always results in sterility, there have been a few patients (men and women) who have successfully had children after transplant. I get a family photo every year from a patient of mine who had a daughter after his transplant 10 years ago. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Homeopathy: What You Should Know

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

Magnetic resonance imaging not considered a good use of resources in study group of patients

Feb 15, 2010

Additional Mutations Identified in Relapse-Specific AML

Jan 16, 2012

Comparison of relapse-specific and primary tumor mutations shows increase in transversions