Physician qualifications

My cervical biopsy results indicated that high-grade pre cancer cells were present and I am scheduled for surgery in a month. I was told that a gynecological oncologist would have a better success rate that the ob/gyn would. Is this true and if so, how would I go about having the gyn/oncologist do the procedure rather than the ob/gyn? Any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  

You did not mention what kind of surgery you were scheduled to undergo, but in general, most general gynecologists are very qualified to perform hysterectomy, LEEP or cone biopsy as treatment for severe dysplasia of the cervix. However, if you would like to seek a second opinion, or another surgeon to manage your case, I would recommend that you ask for a referral to a gynecologic oncologist in your area. When you go for your appointment, you should bring copies of your relevant Pap tests, any colposcopic biopsies, and your doctor's office notes with you.

Where Are the Adults in the Room?
by Rodney Warner, JD

SGO Issues Top Five Choosing Wisely Recommendations

Nov 7, 2013

Five topics agreed upon following literature review, consideration of areas of over-, underutilization

SGO: Gynecologic Cancer Survival Up at High-Volume Centers

Mar 25, 2014

Survival advantage of 2.3 to 34.1 months for treatment at highest- versus lowest-volume centers