Pregnancy after Hodgkin's Disease

Question

I had treatments for Hodgkin's Disease almost three years ago. I have had very normal blood levels and clear x-rays and CT scans since the end of treatment. I recently found out I am pregnant; my concern is that this pregnancy will cause a relapse of my cancer. 

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There is fortunately no data to suggest that there is any increased risk of relapse with pregnancy, in Hodgkin's Disease. Although you will not be able to get the routing scans and x-rays, you should follow-up with your oncologist on your regular schedule during the pregnancy.

Breast Cancer Risk Raised in Hodgkin's Disease Survivors

Sep 2, 2014 - Women who survived Hodgkin's disease as children have a 37-fold higher risk of developing breast cancer than women in the general population, particularly bilateral disease, according to study findings published in the September issue of the International Journal of Radiation Oncology - Biology - Physics.