Getting a Second Opinion for a Prostate Nodule

Question

My internist discovered a lump on my prostate during a digital rectal exam (D.R.E.) my PSA is 1.11. I was referred to a urologist. The urologist repeated the D.R.E. and stated that the lump is there but it is nothing to worry about. Should I get a second opinion? 

Answer

Alan J. Wein, MD, Professor and Chair of the Division of Urology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

In my opinion, you should definitely have a second opinion. Any nodule may be a potential cancer. The unfortunate fact is that 20 percent of people with prostate cancer have a normal PSA reading. I would seek a second urologist's opinion immediately.

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Review of initial and final pathology reports finds differences that could change therapy

Jul 6, 2010

Bone mineral density test followed by selective alendronate found to improve resource use

Second Primaries for Over 25% With Metastatic Prostate Cancer

Apr 24, 2015

28.1 percent have synchronous second primary; mortality up with synchronous lung, stomach cancer