"M" Protein in multiple myeloma

I am currently in remission after a stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma. My M protein is 0.34. At what point would I need to start treatment again? The M protein was 6 at the time of diagnosis. I have not been on any maintenance therapy. Thank you. 

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Without knowing the particulars of your case, it is difficult to comment. However, in general, it is usually the trend of the protein and not the absolute number that matters. For example, is the number going up or is it stable? Also we don't only look at the protein level but also other information, like the bones, the other blood tests and sometimes the bone marrow.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

Recommendations Presented for MRI Use in Multiple Myeloma

Feb 3, 2015

MRI is gold standard for imaging axial skeleton, assessing painful lesions, ID'ing benign fractures

Treatment Beneficial in Smoldering Multiple Myeloma

Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone delays progression, improves survival versus observation

FDA: Pomalyst Approved for Advanced Multiple Myeloma

Feb 12, 2013

After other therapies have failed