High PSA

Question

My husbands PSA is 50. A DRE indicated an enlarged and hardened prostate with nodules. A biopsy is scheduled. What are the implications of a PSA of 50? Can I assume from this score that he has cancer and that the cancer has spread? 

Answer

Alan J. Wein, MD, Professor and Chair of the Division of Urology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

In the absence of infection, a PSA of 50 generally indicates prostate cancer. Unfortunately, if cancer, this high of a PSA generally indicates advanced disease-- not necessarily metastatic, maybe just advanced local disease. With a physical exam such as the one described, I would say the most likely possibility is prostate malignancy. Have the biopsy done as soon as practical, with ultrasound guidance preferably.

ASCO: High-Risk Prostate Cancer Diagnosis Up Since New PSA Recs

Feb 26, 2015

Researchers report 3 percent annual rise in intermediate- and high-risk cases

Men treated with dutasteride have improved PSA prediction for high-grade tumors

Jan 13, 2011

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

From the National Cancer Institute