Infection during Pap testing

Question

I had a pap smear done about 2 weeks ago and they then treated me for a bacterial infection. When my test results came back they showed that I had mild dysplasia. Could this be due to the infection that I had during my pap smear?

Answer

While infections may cause some abnormalities on Pap testing, it is very unlikely that a diagnosis of mild dysplasia on Pap is caused by infection. Remember that a Pap test is just a screening test, not a definite diagnosis. The important next step is that you undergo colposcopy and biopsy to establish a true diagnosis.