Interpreting Mammography Reports

Question

I recently had a mammogram and when I was mailed the findings it said "non-malignant findings" and that I should have another mammogram in a year to see if anything develops. Should I ask for the actual report so I can see what it says, before I ask for more opinions?

Answer

Julia Draznin Maltzman, MD, Attending Physician at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

It is not unusual for a mammogram to show benign appearing changes in breast tissue that do not appear malignant. The wording on this report is a bit vague. It is not clear if this means there are findings that seem to have benign characteristics or that there are no findings at all. It is not uncommon for reports to read: "no malignant findings". It would be reasonable to speak with your primary medical doctor and review the exact wording. Your physician can always clarify things directly with the radiologist if there is any concern.

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Bayesian Network Shows Promise in Mammography

Network improved on radiologists' performance measures in classifying benign, malignant disease

Substantial Chemo Exposure Rates Among Oncology Nurses

Adequate staffing, frequent verification of doses by two nurses decrease likelihood of exposure

Physicians who fall short should be considered for further training, researchers conclude

Apr 26, 2010

From the National Cancer Institute