Treatment for DCIS

Question

I was recently diagnosed with DCIS and LCIS. I have had a lumpectomy and will soon start radiation. My concern is that it has been suggested that I take Tamoxifen. I am 43 and I have not yet gone through menopause. My ER was positive. I am very afraid of this drug after all my reading on it. I have also read that using a natural progesterone has had similar results. How true is this, in your opinion? Do I have any other choices? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Answer

Julia Draznin Maltzman, MD, Attending Physician at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

There is some controversy as to the "right" way to treat DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). Most oncologists, however, chose to use a tri-modality approach: surgery, radiation, and hormonal therapy. The data supporting the use of Tamoxifen shows a significant reduction in the occurrence of breast cancer in the affected breast (where the DCIS is found) as well as in the other unaffected breast. The finding of LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ) does not effect this recommendation, as the data does not support any changes in the treatment approach.

Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen. It does not work exactly as progesterone does. Furthermore, I am unaware of any randomized clinical trials that have been done with unopposed progesterone for DCIS. The best advice is to adhere to the data acquired through rigorous, scientific, peer-reviewed mechanisms. If you are uncomfortable with your doctor's recommendation, you should always feel free to seek a second opinion.

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

Magnetic resonance imaging not considered a good use of resources in study group of patients

Feb 15, 2010

DCIS Terminology Impacts Patient Treatment Choice

Patients more likely to choose nonsurgical option when described as breast lesion or abnormal cells