Ocular Melanoma

Question

Can you please give me some information on melanoma of the eye?

Answer

Suzanne M. McGettigan, MSN, CRNP, AOCN, Board Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner and a Certified Oncology Advanced Practice Nurse, responds:

Ocular (eye) melanoma is not staged in the same manner as cutaneous melanoma (melanoma of the skin). It tends to be a bit more aggressive, with a higher likelihood of metastases (spread) into the brain. Unlike cutaneous melanoma , there is little benefit to sentinel node biopsy in ocular melanoma, since the drainage pattern is a bit harder to figure out. The staging workup should be the same as cutaneous melanoma, with CT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis and an MRI of the brain. The National Cancer Institute has a nice article on the various types of melanoma found in the eye .

I wish u knew... Skin cancer 101
by Timothy J. Hampshire
January 28, 2013

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

But supplements may lower risk of melanoma for women with a history of nonmelanoma skin cancer

Jun 30, 2011

ASCO: Nicotinamide May Help Prevent Non-Melanoma Skin CA

Preliminary Australian study saw association between nicotinamide and lower rates

AAD: Study Examines Incidence of Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer

Mar 21, 2015

Incidence of NMSC much higher among Caucasians; Hispanic patients significantly younger