Breast Implants and cancer

Question

I have had breast implants for 15 years. Can breast implants cause cancer?

Answer

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

The Institute of Medicine conducted a thorough report on the safety of silicone breast implants. The report states that breast cancer is no more common in women with breast implants than those without breast implants. Several studies have reported slightly higher rates of lung and vulvar cancer in women with breast implants, but these studies are inconclusive because they did not take in to consideration other risk factors (like smoking).

One study links reductions in breast density to reduced risk for breast cancer

Apr 22, 2010 - Breast density appears to be a strong biomarker of breast cancer risk, according to research presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, held from April 17 to 21 in Washington, D.C., with breast density research the focus of the following three studies.

The Controversy of Screening