Oophorectomy to Lower Breast Cancer Risk

Question

I am at high risk for developing breast cancer and am contemplating having my ovaries removed. How much would I be decreasing my risk if having this procedure done?

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Prophylactic oophorectomy is felt to reduce breast cancer risk by as much as 50% in women who have a high risk for developing breast cancer in their lifetimes.

Also tied to lower risk of ovarian cancer than hysterectomy plus ovarian conservation

Apr 28, 2011 - Elective bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy with hysterectomy is associated with a lower risk of ovarian cancer than ovarian conservation and hysterectomy, and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy does not appear to have adverse effects on cardiovascular health, hip fracture, cancer, or total mortality compared with ovarian conservation and hysterectomy, according to research published in the April 25 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.

3D Mammography: What is it?