Herceptin Weekly or Every Three Weeks

Question

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, and am now receiving Taxotere, Cytoxan, and Herceptin every 3 weeks. Is there any benefit to doing Herceptin weekly? I've been given the option of weekly or every 3 weeks for the year I'll be taking it.

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

At the present time, we do not have clear evidence on what the "optimal" delivery schedule is for Herceptin, if any, as it is a relatively new drug compared to standard chemotherapy drugs that are employed in breast cancer . Future Herceptin studies may shed light on this and other issues, but for now the consensus is that either schedule is acceptable. We generally favor every three weeks rather than weekly for the sake of patient convenience.

Excessive Neutropenia for Weekly Everolimus + Docetaxel

Apr 30, 2012 - For patients with metastatic breast cancer, weekly treatment with everolimus plus docetaxel every three weeks results in dose-limiting neutropenia and variable clearance of both drugs, according to a phase 1 study published in the May 1 issue of Cancer.