Herceptin Weekly or Every Three Weeks

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, and am now receiving Taxotere, Cytoxan, and Herceptin every 3 weeks. Is there any benefit to doing Herceptin weekly? I've been given the option of weekly or every 3 weeks for the year I'll be taking it.

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

At the present time, we do not have clear evidence on what the "optimal" delivery schedule is for Herceptin, if any, as it is a relatively new drug compared to standard chemotherapy drugs that are employed in breast cancer . Future Herceptin studies may shed light on this and other issues, but for now the consensus is that either schedule is acceptable. We generally favor every three weeks rather than weekly for the sake of patient convenience.

My Cancer Experience

Excessive Neutropenia for Weekly Everolimus + Docetaxel

Apr 30, 2012

Dose-limiting neutropenia, variable drug clearance for patients with metastatic breast cancer

More Intensive Chemo Ups Survival in Ewing Sarcoma

No increased toxicity with increasing chemo from every three weeks to every two weeks

ASCO: Fewer Side Effects With Weekly Paclitaxel in Breast CA

Jun 4, 2013

And, similar disease control, less lymphedema for axillary radiotherapy vs. lymph node dissection