Hereditary Aspect to Hodgkin's Disease (HD)?

Question

I would like to know if HD can be inherited? I had HD at 18 years old with a recurrence several years later. At 28 years of age, I had 2 children. My daughter is now 16 and has a "knot" in her neck (same place mine was found).

Answer

Babis (Charalambos) Andreadis, MD, Assistant Professor in Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center and an Associate Scholar in the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There does seem to be a higher risk of Hodgkin's lymphoma in close relatives of patients with this disease. The risk is about 3- to 5-fold greater than in the general population. This is not clearly due to a genetic predisposition, but could be related to similar socioeconomic and environmental exposures among members of the same family (i.e. diet, environment, etc.). Even though a hereditary risk exists, given that the incidence of Hodgkin lymphoma in the US population is only about 2 people out of every 100,000, the risk among close family members only rises to 6-10 in 100,000, which is still a significantly low risk.

Breast Cancer Risk Raised in Hodgkin's Disease Survivors

Oct 22, 2014 - Women who survived Hodgkin's disease as children have a 37-fold higher risk of developing breast cancer than women in the general population, particularly bilateral disease, according to study findings published in the September issue of the International Journal of Radiation Oncology - Biology - Physics.