ER Positivity Percentages

How do you determine if an ER or PR receptor is positive or negative when the results are reported as a percentage? I have seen 15% considered negative in some of the research, but positive in others. Is there a set definition for receptor positivity?

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

In general, we consider any percentage level of receptor positivity to be "positive." However, the general accepted cutoff is 10% or higher. Reference is Goldhirsch et al. Meeting Highlights: International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer 2005, Annals of Oncology, September 2005.

My Cancer Experience

Smoking Ups Risk of ER-Positive Breast Cancer in Women

Feb 12, 2014

But no association found for smoking and risk of triple-negative breast cancer

ASCO: Obesity, Mortality Link in ER+ Breast CA Pre-Menopause

Obesity positively associated with breast cancer mortality only for pre-/peri-menopausal women

ASCO: Extending Tamoxifen to Ten Years is Beneficial

Jun 5, 2013

Reductions in breast cancer recurrence, death for women taking tamoxifen for 10 versus five years