Vaginal Dysplasia

Question

I had a total hysterectomy several years ago. I recently had a Pap smear that returned with HGSIL, yet I do not have a cervix. All of the information I find on the web discusses treatment modalities for cervical HGSIL, but not if located in the vaginal vault. Can you tell me what I can possibly expect for further diagnosis and treatments?

Answer

Unfortunately, women without a cervix may still suffer from dysplasia of the vagina.

The evaluation is generally the same; high-grade findings on a Pap test require a colposcopic examination of the vulva, with biopsies of abnormal areas. Biopsies verifying the presence of high-grade dysplasia may require treatment. In general, treatment options for vaginal dysplasia include excision (sometimes called upper vaginectomy), laser, or treatment with Effudex (a topical chemotherapy agent).

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

Ovarian Cancer DNA Detected in Vaginal Fluid

Preliminary finding may bring doctors one step closer to test for disease in early stages

Long-Term Cervical/Vaginal CA, Death Risk Up With Treated CIN3

Jan 17, 2014

Women previously treated for CIN3 have long-term elevated risk of invasive cancer and mortality

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

From the National Cancer Institute