Temozolomide for Brain Tumors

Question

My friend has very recently been diagnosed with a grade 4 Glioblastoma. She begins radiation therapy (XRT) next week on a palliative basis. Is there any evidence that the use of the drug Temodar (temozolomide) would improve her survival, and if there is, what would a course of this drug entail?

Answer

Robert Lustig MD FACR, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Glioblastoma multiforme is a grade IV (out of IV) astrocytoma, which is a very aggressive primary cancer of the brain. The drug temozolomide, or Temodar, is now part of the standard of care in glioblastoma treatment. It is given daily at a dose of 75 mg/m 2 (based on body size) starting on day one of radiation and continuing until the last day. After a one month rest, temozolomide is then restarted at a higher dose for 5 days, followed by a 3-week rest, and continued in this way until disease progression.

Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy prolongs survival and improves symptoms

Mar 14, 2011 - Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy of gastrointestinal brain metastases is associated with prolonged survival and improved quality of life, but survival is still lower compared to metastases arising from other tumors, according to a review published online Feb. 11 in Cancer.