Chromosome Abnormalities in Leukemia

My son-in-law was recently diagnosed with leukemia. He is at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, DC because he is serving in the U.S. Army. He and my daughter were told that he has an "inverted 16th chromosome". Where can I find additional information on this?

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

You probably won't find much unless you look in specialty medical journals. Inverted chromosome 16 is the genetic abnormality associated with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) type M4. The presence of this inversion on the 16 th chromosome is just one of the ways they classify the AML type as M4. Researchers believe that something happens in the body to cause the chromosome to change, which then leads to the development of the leukemia. There is the hope that having this information can help develop better therapies for treating the disease. For example, in the case of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), the genetic abnormality is the (9;22) translocation, which is the target of the drug Gleevec. So far, this is the only one of the leukemias with a successful targeted therapy.

Medicinal Mushrooms – Support and Safety During Breast Cancer

Chromosomal Abnormalities Signal CNS Involvement in AML

Dec 29, 2011

Further study needed to establish role of cytogenetics in predicting CNS disease in AML

Genetic Abnormalities Test Detects Intestinal Cancers

Fluorescent technique more sensitive than routine cytology while maintaining a high specificity

FDA Approves Blincyto for Precursor B-Cell Leukemia

Dec 5, 2014

Approved to treat patients with Philadelphia chromosome-negative precursor B-cell ALL