Arthritis and Chemotherapy

Question

I'm a 26-year-old female diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (Nodular Sclerosis type, stage IIIB) in March of 2006, and have been receiving 6 cycles of ABVD chemotherapy. I've been experiencing a lot of bone pain, and now a lot of joint pain. The pain in my hands even prevents me from holding a phone or menu at times. I'm currently taking shots of Neulasta, but the joint pain was occurring even before the Neulasta. I'm worried I might be developing arthritis. In your experience, is there anything to suggest that ABVD chemo might bring on arthritis, or exacerbate a previously unknown arthritic condition? I feel very strongly about the relationship between the chemo and arthritis, and was wondering if you could supply additional information.

Answer

Babis (Charalambos) Andreadis, MD, Assistant Professor in Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center and an Associate Scholar in the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Arthritis can be observed during or after cytotoxic chemotherapy, such as ABVD doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine. This usually has a self-limited course (meaning it resolves on its own) but may last several months before (usually) resolving spontaneously. It can involve several joints in sequence, but is usually non-inflammatory, i.e. joints are NOT red, swollen, or hot. If any of these symptoms develop, then a workup should be performed for an inflammatory arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis. These other conditions, however, are very rare in this patient population.

Studies outline new options for the standard treatment of various lymphoma types

Dec 7, 2010 - Rituximab may be a better option than watchful waiting in some lymphoma patients, and a new treatment option appears effective for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to two studies being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, held from Dec. 4 to 7 in Orlando, Fla. Other research being presented will highlight new options for the standard treatment of advanced asymptomatic follicular lymphoma; mantle cell lymphoma; and early, unfavorable Hodgkin's disease.

Understanding prostate cancer screening