Just Diagnosed Endometrial Cancer

Question

I've just found out from a biopsy that I have endometrial cancer, Grade 1. My gynecology doctor says the 1st thing that has to happen is a hysterectomy? Shouldn't I get a C T Scan first?

Answer

Endometrial cancer, or cancer of the lining of the uterus, is the most common female reproductive tract cancer in this country. Fortunately, these cancers are typically found early, and are curable with proper treatment. For cancers that are at low risk for spread, such as grade I tumors, pre-operative CT scans are generally not done, since the likelihood of finding any abnormalities is very low.

Treatment begins with surgery, with removal of the uterus, tubes and ovaries, exploration of the abdominal cavity, and oftentimes biopsy of lymph nodes to look for any evidence of spread of the cancer. Depending on the surgical findings, some patients may be recommended to have postoperative radiation and/or chemotherapy, but in most cases, surgery is all that is needed to cure the cancer.

Compared with external radiotherapy, it results in fewer side effects, better quality of life

Mar 8, 2010 - In patients with high-intermediate-risk endometrial cancer, vaginal brachytherapy is just as effective as pelvic external beam radiotherapy for prevention of vaginal recurrence, has fewer toxic effects and leads to improved quality of life, according to a study in the March 6 issue of The Lancet.