Gynecomastia with Anti-androgens

My husband underwent 40 treatments of IMRT ending in December for locally advanced prostate cancer. He is seeing the radiation oncologist for very painful gynecomastia in the hopes of stopping that. Can you tell me about this treatment?

Richard Whittington, MD, Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

Gynecomastia is the development of breast tissue in a male and can be due to stimulation of the breast tissue related to the use of bicalutamide, flutamide, and nilutamide. These are anti-androgen medications with some estrogenic activity. The development of male breast tissue causes pain due to enlargement of the ductal structures. Radiation will prevent breast stimulation when given before antiandrogens, but is less effective in arresting the stimulation once the medications are started. It usually resolves a few months after the anti-androgen medication is stopped. If there is a cosmetic problem due to gynecomastia, surgery may be required to repair it. If it is just pain, a higher dose of radiation, usually 20 to 25 Gy, will arrest it, whereas 10Gy is used to prevent it.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

Fusion Transcript, PCA3 in Urine Predict Prostate Cancer Risk

Urine test for TMPRSS2:ERG and PCA3 levels can predict risk for men with elevated PSA levels

Agent Orange Tied to MGUS in Vietnam Vets

Nov 29, 2015

Exposed veterans have higher rates of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance

Nicotine Dependence Underdiagnosed in U.S. Vets

Vets without diagnosis less likely to be diagnosed and treated