Positive Sentinel Node Biopsy

I had sentinel node biopsy and had 1 of 4 positive nodes. From what I have read, dissecting more nodes does nothing to decrease mortality, can cause lymphedema, and would be an additional surgery. I understand doctors like it for a prognosis, but what possible good does it do for me to know that I have additional positive nodes?

Nancy J. O'Connor, MSN, CRNP, Oncology Nurse Practioner for Breast Surgery at the Rowan Breast Center, responds:

Axillary dissection following a positive sentinel lymph node is considered the standard of care. Aside from providing more information to stage the cancer and prognostic information, medical oncologists prefer knowing the actual number of lymph nodes involved because it can directly influence the treatment regimen they recommend. For example, the overall number of nodes that are positive after axillary dissection determines the need for post-operative radiation therapy.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

SABCS: Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Less Likely in Black Women

Dec 6, 2012

Black women significantly less likely to undergo SLNB, more likely to have lymphedema

Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Staging for Melanoma Reviewed

Jul 12, 2012

Routine use of SLN biopsy is recommended for accurate staging of intermediate-thickness melanoma

Racial Disparity Seen in Use of Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy

Jun 23, 2014

White women significantly more likely than black women to receive biopsy with breast cancer