Finding an Experienced Robotic Surgeon

Question

How do I find a Doctor in my area that is an experienced practitioner of robotic prostatectomy? Can I find out how many procedures they have preformed and their side effect percentages?

Answer

David I. Lee, MD, Chief of the Division of Urology at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, responds:

This will require a bit of homework, including looking carefully at the hospital or institution's website as well as calling the surgeon's office directly and asking these questions. The Intuitive Surgical website (the manufacturer of the Da Vinci System) lists surgeons who have performed 40 or more cases of robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy. Visit their patient website to search for a surgeon in your area. You may find it beneficial to meet with more than one surgeon and ask these questions. Unfortunately, there is no central database that you can search for this information. Also, our OncoPilot section can help you compile a list of questions to ask at your appointments.